Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Bookreview: A Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

I've been doing bookreviews for quite a while on this blog and I know not everyone loves to read and that these posts are probably not the most popular ones,
but I did notice that a lot of other book addicts like myself do like these posts. Today I wanted to do a review on the new J.K. Rowling book.
If you don't know who J.K. Rowling is, well, then you have been missing out for the last twenty years. The insanely talented woman wrote the Harry Potter series that broke many many records worldwide. And I can see why. I am very fascinated by the series and by J.K. Rowling. She's my favourite writer so I was actually very happy when I got her new book. This is not another Harry Potter book, it's actually a book for adults.

This book was $26.32 dollar which is €19.95. It took me quite a while to get it and it also took me quite a while to read it. The biggest thing that kept me from reading it was school and work. I thought that I would have a lot more time to read now it's springbreak but I actually spent most of my days at work.


Okay, so now it's time for my opinion on the book. I do have to say that this book is a lot different from the Harry Potter series. A LOT. Do I think she failed or do I think she should stick to series like the Harry Potter series? No!
The book is a lot different but it wasn't a let down for me. It's another story, another side of J.K. Rowling but most importantly it's another book that proves she is talented. Even though it's about politics - J.K. Rowling made it easy to understand. 

"When Barry Fairbrother unexpectedly dies, the Pagford residents are shocked. Pagford seems an idyllic English rural village, a charming market square and an ancient abbey, but behind the beautiful façade go major hidden conflicts; rich against poor, teenagers against their parents, women against their husbands, teachers against their students ... Pagford is not what it seems. The empty chair Barry leaves behind in the city council is the reason for the biggest fight that the village has ever known. Who will triumph in this election full of opportunism, forgery and mind-boggling revelations? " 
As mentioned in the summary of this book it's about the death of Barry Fairbrother, a special man in Pagford who is loved by everyone. Everyone is stunned when he dies - some because they can't believe he's gone, some because they now have a shot at the chair in the city council. It's everyone against everyone and the games are played dirty. A lot of secrets come to the surface and ruin lives. Seriously. Some juicy stuff as well. Poor, rich, young and old - everyone seems to get involved in the huge fight the death of Barry provoked. But there are people out there who actually miss him a lot as well...

I loved the book a lot, there's a lot of different situations in there, a lot of different people. People who have good intentions, people who have bad intentions, people with a lot of dark secrets or a dark past, people who are mentally sick, rapists, drugusers, people who have a reputation but are struggling and fighting to be happy without anyone even noticing. It all mealts together nicely. I could really imagine this being people who live in my city.

I really liked the story, it's so special and I just really wish some of the people from the book existed so that I could be friends with them. I can't wait for J.K. Rowling to write a new adult book!

1 comment:

  1. The fact that there wasn't a speck of Rowling's style in the dark-humored literary volume dearly anticipated by many, suggests one of having done an exceptional job at being an author. And to know that the fiction itself didn't disappoint; being put mildly, I absolutely adored every instance, character, scene and the final outcome gathered. Hats off to you, Jo.

    My first badge of gratitude: our dear Flipkart. I received my order ON the date of release, which was more than I'd dared to expect.

    Well, it might not be easy to lay down precise words to summarize all of which one can garner out of the terrific and colossal novel; ranged with a deep scrutiny into the life of not one but many characters. There's a deep insight into their lives and minds, which is an incredulous achievement in itself. To portray that many people with unperturbed justice....
    And to top all of that, you know you've fallen in love with it WHILST reading, when you're dreading that it'll after all, come to an end.

    One can only serve it with much deserved credit by reading it with absolute cognition. I can't begin to spell out how much I've been inspired and in so many ways. It's not Harry Potter, it's an entirely different bittersweet piece of art. Just read it.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it classy ♥ Thanks for reading!