Sunday, April 28, 2013

Bookreview: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Happy Monday you guys! I know I'm a bit late with my update today but I got back from school really late. More about that tomorrow in a lifestyle post!

I have been loving dystopian books for a while now. Dystopian? If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll explain really quickly: a dystopian story is a story in which the government has all the power and controls the people - think of the hunger games, where the people from the districts are used for the Capitol's entertainment.
"Divergent" by Veronica Roth is a book just like that.


After war, people split into factions, each one meant to uphold a particular virtue of humanity: Abnegation (the selfless), Amity (the peaceful), Candor (the honest), Dauntless (the brave) and Erudite (the intelligent).
When you turn 16, there's a ceremony. People who are 16 get to choose if they want to stay in the faction they were born into, OR if they want to switch factions, but if you do this, you'll lose your family because they say "faction before family". It's like a rule, to always love your faction more.

The main character, Beatrice Prior, was born in Abnegation. Before the ceremony they all do a test to see which factions would suit you the best, but Beatrice doesn't get a clear result. She doubting. Should she stay in Abnegation, even though she struggles? Or should she switch factions and leave, disappoint everyone?
Beatrice ends up switching factions and she becomes "Tris". Her older brother Caleb switches factions too, he goes to Erudite (which is unbelievable because Erudite has been insulting Abnegation - where he was born in and where his family still is - for a really long time).

After they have chosen their new faction, they have a couple of weeks of training. They have to prove that they're worthy enough.
What the others don't know is that Tris has some kind of advantage, and what she doesn't know is that everyone would try to kill her if they knew.
And what is going on between her new faction - Dauntless - and her brother's new faction - Erudite?

I absolutely loved the book, I was so sucked into it. I think the author explains everything really well and that way you understand why everything is happening and why people in the book do the things they do. I also really wished some of the characters were real people (for those of you who have read the book: TOBIAS! - spoiler alert!). I really really enjoyed reading this book.

Oh and I just realised that the cover art (the fire) stands for Dauntless. Now, the next book has a tree on it so it's probably the sign of another faction.

Even my cat enjoyed the book!
I have now started reading the sequal called "Insurgent" and I can't wait to see what's going to happen in that book!

Thanks for reading! Let me know if you read it too and what your opinion was!

1 comment:

  1. i absolutely loved divergent, but i found insurgent to be a tad bit slow but it got a lot beer owrds the middle and end.

    and im totes loving dystopian books too. you have to read the fores of hands and teeth trilogy and the mached trilogy! the are my favourites!!!

    and btw divergent is being made into a movie! ahhh

    newest follower :) ..because you gave me no choice due to your awesome taste in books!

    BreezeyBee Blog
    xoXo

    ReplyDelete

Keep it classy ♥ Thanks for reading!