Monday, April 7, 2014

Weekly Diary part #1: Dresden!

Hello everyone! I'm back from Prague!
I had such a lovely time, I can't wait to tell you all about it. I have written a really long review about Buchenwald in Dresden, Germany (where we stopped the first day) but I don't want to bore all of you (not everyone loves history as much as I do, and that's okay),
so I'm just going to show you a couple of pictures that I thought are really.... impressing.


19 pillars that represent the nationalities of all the prisoners. My nationality is there too.


The sight now is so beautiful, but here, the bodies of dead prisoners were dumped back in the World War. It were the Jews who had to dump the bodies there, they had "the dirty work", they were the worst of the worst according to the German leaders.

 

The hour is always thesame on this clock. This is the time the American army came to save the prisoners on April 11th, 1945.


 

They actually had bears in Buchenwald. And every once in a while they put a prisoner in the cage for entertainment. Can you believe it? The Germans had a twisted idea of what entertainment is. Hunger games meets gladiators style. That's just one of the things they did...

 
 

A tiny cell in which Martin Sommer experimented on his victims. Nobody ever came out alive. He was a very cruel man. I'm not going to write down everything that he did because otherwise you'll be here reading for hours (and you'll probably feel sick, like me) but if you just type his name in Google, you'll find all the awful things he did to people.


Because there were to many bodies to be burried (and because the people who had to dump them couldn't take it anymore psychologically), they decided to get ovens to burn the victims in.


That's what I went to see in Germany. Well, it's the really short version but like I said, I don't know how many of you are actually interested in history. I could write more in detail if you want me to, let me know!

Now, I think this post is getting pretty long so I'm going to split it up in two parts.
Tomorrow you'll see the second part in which I visit Prague! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it classy ♥ Thanks for reading!